Five key takeaways from our analysis:
- The big dollars flow to consumer businesses. Online travel agencies (OTAs) dominate fundraising, accounting for 94% of all capital raised.
- Klook and GetYourGuide, the two major online travel agencies, account for nearly 60% of total funding and more than two-thirds of funding since Covid.
- Asia and Europe are where the action is. Even when excluding Klook and GetYourGuide, more than 80% of the funding has gone to companies in Asia and Europe, and more than 70% of funded startups are based in those regions.
- Technology providers represent 42% of all companies but just 5% of all capital raised. These companies include reservation systems and B2B distributors. None made it into the top 10.
- Funding will accelerate. The increasingly positive outlook for the sector is sure to drive more funding activity as new and established startups seek to capitalize on travel’s rebound.