Tour Director for 2023 – Xanterra Travel Collection – Eau Claire
At Holiday Vacations, our goal is to enrich lives with valued travel experiences. We offer inclusive guided tours led by a professional Tour Director to more than 65 destinations on six continents. We travel by motor coach, trains, and cruises on itineraries that bring the destination alive for our guests. We are headquartered in Eau Claire, Wisconsin and are a subsidiary of Xanterra Travel Collection, the largest national park concessionaire in the U.S. Xanterra also operates an upscale biking and walking tour company, a luxury small ship cruise line, and an iconic American railway, just to name a few.
The Tour Director is a vital and critical role in ensuring Holiday Vacations guest service promise is delivered to its guests. This position is the guide and main point of contact for our customers throughout their vacation and is the ambassador for the Holiday Vacations brand.
The Tour Director position involves guiding groups through airports, restaurants, attractions and in/out of hotels following a pre-structured itinerary. You will research and provide information to the guests on the historical, geographical and cultural aspects of the destinations while on tour. The overwhelming majority of our tours occur June-October. Tour Directors are expected to widely available during the peak season. Tours typically average 9-14 days in length.
Tour Directors are eligible for a Minimum Essential Coverage health plan 60 days after hire date as required by the Affordable Care Act.
Tour Directors are also eligible for the Xanterra 401(k) plan once they meet the eligiblilty requirements. Xanterra will match employee contributions dollar-for-dollar up to 3% with a 50% match on the next 2% you contribute (potential match of 4%). Your personal funds and contributions made by the company are immediately vested.
Candidates who live in the Midwest are strongly preferred for positioning purposes. Must be a U.S. Resident.
Required dates of availability for training: April 10-14, 2023 and April 30-May 4. If you are not available during both sets of dates, please apply for a future year consideration.
Applications will be accepted through January 8, 2023. Virtual interviews will occur through March 17. Please note that due to the volume of applicants we receive for this position, you will only be contacted to schedule an interview. We thank you in advance for your interest in this position!
Principle Duties and Responsibilities of a Tour Director:
- Provide information to guests and fulfill their expectations of the tour
- Facilitate pre-structured itinerary for the entire tour
- Conduct pre-tour calls to all guests on the tour prior to departure
- Review all contracts, itinerary, and other pertinent documents prior to departure
- Welcome guests at their starting point and announce details of travel arrangements
- Communicate a range of information on itineraries, destinations and culture
- Inform guests of arrival and departure times at each destination on the tour and ensure that all guests are accounted for on each activity and each stop
- Confirm in advance any hotel, restaurant, attraction and transportation reservations making sure all travel arrangements run according to plan and that accommodations, meals and service are satisfactory
- Use professional knowledge to answer questions from guests
- Provide assistance with optional activities during leisure times
- Handle emergencies, such as helping a guest who is ill or those needing to contact family members urgently
- Analyze existing tours, assessing their strengths and weaknesses, and share ideas for improvement
- Participate in tour briefings and debriefings given by Tour Director Manager and/or Product staff
- Submit accurate and detailed tour, expense, payroll and evaluation forms
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Requirements:
- Previous Tour Director experience or graduation from a professional Tour Director school is required; preference for candidates who meet both
- CPR training required; Holiday Vacations will either pay for the certification or provide certification classes at the corporate office
- Proof of COVID vaccination status is required
- Comfortable with technology and able to successfully utilize various devices, softwares, and apps with ease
- A personal mobile device is required, like a tablet or laptop
- Experience with Microsoft Teams is preferred, willingness to learn Microsoft Teams is required
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to legally travel and work domestically and internationally
- Ability to adapt quickly to an ever-changing, high-paced environment
- Eagerness to learn new things
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to gather and analyze a variety of data regarding tour research
- Ability to demonstrate good listening skills with compassion and eagerness to provide outstanding service to our guests and suppliers
- Ability to handle a variety of guests, suppliers, and vendors with enthusiasm, sincerity, and professionalism and provide all with the highest level of service
- Knowledge of company goals and objectives to attain high guest service levels
- Ability to maintain high levels of energy, enthusiasm and professionalism
- Ability to stand and walk at a brisk pace for extended periods of time to lead the group, often 8+ hours per day. Ability to sit for extended periods of time in cramped quarters, like on an airplane or motorcoach, sometimes 8+ hours per day. Ability to lift numerous pieces of luggage (each weighing up to 50 pounds).
- Work days are typically long, 10-13+ hours per day. Must be able to work 9-14 days in a row (on average).
- Work is performed in various destinations throughout the U.S. and the world
To apply for this job please visit www.xanterrajobs.com.