Director of Oklahoma Museum Of History – State of Oklahoma –
Job Posting Title
Director of Oklahoma Museum Of History
350 HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Oklahoma Historical Society
Job Posting End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the posting end date above.
Estimated Appointment End Date (Continuous if Blank)
$80,000.00-$95,000.00 a year
The Oklahoma Museum of History (housed in the Oklahoma History Center) is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). The OHS is an agency of the State of Oklahoma and a private membership organization governed by a Board of Directors.
The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve, and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma and its peopleThe OHS was founded on May 27, 1893, by members of the Territorial Press Association. In 1918 the OHS was relocated to the State Capitol, and in 1930 moved to the Wiley Post building. In 2005 came the opening of the Oklahoma History Center in Oklahoma City. Over the years the OHS has developed numerous collections, programs, research centers, museums, historic homes, and military sites across the state.
About the Role
The Director of the OMH will lead a Smithsonian affiliate and AAM accredited museum and ensure fiscal stability, growth, and strategic planning. The Director will oversee all day-to-day operations of the museum.
The ideal candidate will possess a graduate degree in History, Museum Studies, or related field with 5 years of progressive experience in the administration and management of a complex, multi-faceted cultural institution. The Director must be a creative thinker with strong writing and communications skills as well as a team player with the ability to work with the OHS Executive Director, OHS Board of Directors, Friends of the Oklahoma History Center board, staff, community stakeholders, and volunteers.
- Graduate degree in History, Museum Studies, or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and management of operational budgets from multiple revenue sources.
- Proven experience and success in grant writing and development.
- Comprehensive awareness and experience of all aspects of museum operations Ability to communicate clearly and represent the institution in public, professional, and media settings.
- Must reside in the greater Oklahoma City Metro area upon assuming the role.
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience leading a large diverse team.
- Dynamic, forward thinker who is a team player.
- Has experience and/or capability for providing inspiring, visionary leadership, in planning strong, innovative programs and initiatives, and fostering creativity and high performance.
- Oversees and assesses the day-to-day operations of the OMH and personnel, prioritizes activities, develops and enforces policies, provides direction, guidance, and training for staff, while encouraging a healthy, respectful and productive work environment.
- Works alongside OHS CFO to manage budget and finances and works with OHS Development Officer on fundraising and grant writing.
- Oversees numerous departments, including: exhibitions, learning and engagement, curatorial, special events, and museum store.
- Provide leadership in establishing goals and objectives for the Oklahoma Museum of History through strategic planning.
- Demonstrates an understanding and respect for all facets of museum operations regarding procedures, preservation of artifacts, best practices, and industry ethics.
- Continually evaluate and improve mission driven offerings to the public, including exhibits and educational programs, exploring opportunities and initiatives, and mobilizing support.
- Responsible for oversight of exhibit spaces, including 38,000 sq. ft. of interior galleries and 5+ acres of exterior spaces, including development of a robust exhibition schedule.
- Develop collaborations and partnerships with academic, museum, educational, industry, and civic partners that enhance the OMH’s work, standing, resources, and impact.
- Development of professional relationships with community stakeholders including serving as the public face of the OMH.
- Understanding of the diverse communities and stories that make up the history of the State of Oklahoma.
- Maintains AAM Accreditation and status as a Smithsonian Affiliate.
- Oversight of museum activities with other OHS Divisions.
- Serves as ex-officio secretary of the Friends of the Oklahoma History Center non-profit support group.
- May serve on committees for the Oklahoma Historical Society board of directors as requested.
Salary and Benefits
Compensation: $80,000 – $95,000 based on experience
The State of Oklahoma provides a generous and competitive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, personal time off, and paid holidays.
Submit an application, along with a cover letter and three professional references.
Position is open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The State of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information, race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Current State of Oklahoma employees must apply for open positions through their Workday account. Go to Careers app on WD home screen>Click on ‘Find Jobs-Internal State of Oklahoma’.
To apply for this job please visit okgov.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.