Zoo Ranger – Palm Beach Zoo & Conservation Society – West Palm Beach
Join Us at the Zoo!
Interested in saving wildlife in wild places? At the Zoo, our job is for people to fall in love with nature. Our job is for people to have fun. Our job is to save the planet. Palm Beach Zoo & Conservation Society’s mission is to inspire people to act on behalf of wildlife and the natural world. By joining our team, you’ll become a critical part of a conservation organization at a thrilling time as we expand our team to build the Zoo of the future. Help create innovative animal habitats while saving animals in the wild. Joining a passionate team that gets to work around koalas, jaguars, panthers while actively doing conservation work in the field from corals to Florida panthers. A green sustainable workplace that embraces DEAI, we are actively creating a more diverse and thriving work force.
The Zoo Ranger is an integral part of the Zoo’s Operations team, contributing to safety and security to further the mission of the Zoo. We support the important work being carried out both on Zoo grounds and through the critical conservation projects with which we participate.
Zoo Rangers are responsible for monitoring and enforcing all programs and services related to the security and safety of the Palm Beach Zoo facilities, animals, guests, and staff. Monitors Guest Code of Conduct and supports staff and operations during business hours, and monitors after-hours operations and reduces vulnerabilities, while reporting on all happenings during these hours. Facilitates emergency response plans in case of emergency during the overnight hours, as well as, supporting after-hours events and second shift contract labor projects.
The job specification requirements stated are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform this job successfully. Employees may be required to perform other related duties as assigned, to ensure workload coverage. Any satisfactory equivalent combination of experience and training which ensures the ability to perform the work may substitute for the above so that the employee will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Palm Beach Zoo is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions, including those related to recruitment, hiring, training and promotion without regard to race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Essential Position Functions
- Conducts regular rounds of facility and property monitoring Guest Code of Conduct, while ensuring safety and security levels are maintained within the zoo guidelines
- Monitors all surveillance systems
- Maintains log of any occurrences with regards to safety and security issues, and accurately and consistently fills out detailed reports
- Conducts Potentially deadly animal location checks
- Monitors animal habitats and weather during the overnight hours
- Provides timely response to all accidents and incidents and maintains situation until resolved or relieved from duty.
- Controls entry to the zoo and monitors restricted areas for authorized personnel during overnight hours
- Participates in the appropriate level with the zoo’s Critical Response Team
- Supports after-hours events and second shift contract work
- Accomplishes crowd and traffic control during peak periods
- Provides in and out access to doors as requested by authorized personnel only
- Participates in severe weather preparations and recovery as needed
Education Requirements and Technical Skills
- Must be available to work 7am-4pm OR 4pm and 1am
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a valid high school diploma or GED
- One-year security related experience
- Intermediate computer skills
- Must have current State of Florida Class D Security Officer License and maintain active license status during employment
- Strong written communication and report writing experience
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug screening
- Ability to stand, walk and carry out the physical tasks required by the job in a variety of weather conditions
- Must have a valid Florida Driver’s License with clean driving history (required to operate Zoo vehicles)
- Adhere to all Zoo policies and procedures
- Adhere to and uphold the Zoo’s values in relation to conservation and caring for our blue and green planet, animal care and wellness, safety, guest hospitality, and community engagement
- Demonstrate core values of kindness and joyfulness, creativity, respect, commitment, responsibility/accountability, and professionalism
To apply for this job please visit secure5.saashr.com.