Raft Guide 2023 – Nantahala Outdoor Center – Bryson City
For 50 years NOC has led the outdoor industry, taking more guests whitewater rafting and teaching more paddlers than any other outdoor recreation company. NOC also provides top-quality aerial and trail-based adventures, wilderness medicine as well as unmatched retail service, foodservice, lodging, and trip planning services. NOC career opportunities offer a rare combination of work in beautiful locations, a chance to grow skills and to share a passion for active outdoor recreation.
River Guide applicants must be at least 18 years of age prior to their start date, and have current First Aid and CPR certifications. This is a physically demanding position and is classified as summer seasonal. Due to the seasonal demand of our business, we are looking for applicants that are available for a minimum of 3 months and are available to work until, at least, August 12th. Applicants with shorter availability may still be considered based on hiring needs.
Applicants without prior commercial rafting experience are strongly encouraged to attend NOC Raft Guide School during the spring; preferential consideration for employment is given to Guide School graduates. For more information or to sign up for Guide School, visit http://noccareers.com/guide-school/.
- Guide through rapids with crews of varying size, age, and number; understanding and implementing risk-reduction in navigation, communication, and decision-making
- Communicate with guests about local area information, other NOC activities and offerings, river and trip information, and providing general entertainment
- Provide top-notch guest service to all guests, before, after, and during their trip
- Participate in off-the-water tasks, including moving, loading and unloading rafts, assisting guests with gear, delivering instructional talks, and washing and organizing gear and equipment
- Other tasks as assigned and based on qualifications, such as: driving vehicles, repair and maintenance of gear or facilities, guest check-in, and assisting other NOC departments
- Minimum availability between June 15 and August 10
Applicants for a River Guide position at NOC should exhibit:
- A strong sense of guest service
- Enthusiasm about teaching and sharing outdoor activities with others
- Good judgement in decision-making
- The ability to work well under pressure and be able to respond quickly to emergencies with appropriate judgement
- The ability to speak clearly and with authority while guiding
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be physically capable of maneuvering rafts for the duration of the season both on the water by steering and guiding and on land by carrying and lifting
- Applicants should be able to lift 50lbs repetitively
- Applicants should be comfortable sitting in raft for long periods of time and standing for long periods of time as well as able to bend, stoop and twist
- Applicants should be comfortable working outside in varying weather conditions (heat, cold, wind, rain)
- Due to the seasonal nature of this position, hours and schedule will vary from week to week based on business demands
- Basic First Aid & CPR are required prior to beginning work and this certification must be obtained through a classroom setting (please note, online First Aid & CPR are not acceptable as per our river permit agreements)
- Wilderness First Aid or higher is encouraged
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to provide a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so too may the essential functions of this position.
The Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any and all terms, conditions or privileges of employment including hiring, promotions, termination, training and compensation. The NOC does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic condition or any other status protected by federal, state or local law, where applicable. Furthermore, the NOC is committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment through respecting and valuing the diversity among employees and all those with whom the NOC does business.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.