Aerial & Zipline Guide – 2023 – Nantahala Outdoor Center – Bryson City
For 50 years NOC has led the outdoor industry, taking more guests whitewater rafting and teaching more paddlers than any other outdoor recreation company. NOC also provides top-quality aerial and trail-based adventures, wilderness medicine as well as unmatched retail service, foodservice, lodging, and trip planning services. NOC career opportunities offer a rare combination of work in beautiful locations, a chance to grow skills and to share a passion for active outdoor recreation.
Aerial Guides work in multiple adventure activities which include our Zip Line Adventure Park, Mountaintop Zip Line, Team Building Challenge Course, Treetop Adventure Nets and our Alpine Tower. Our Guides train on each of these activities and continue building their skill set and knowledge of aerial adventures. This position is a seasonal position and reports to the Aerial Manager. The busiest season for our Aerial team is Memorial Day – Labor Day, however we also have shoulder season opportunities in the spring and fall. Aerial Guide applicants must be at least 18 years of age prior to their start date and have current First Aid and CPR certification (or higher) prior to beginning work.
** Please note, online First Aid & CPR certifications are not acceptable. **
- Guide groups of varying size, age and number through zipline and/or rope elements
- Understand and implement risk-reduction in their use of equipment, attention to operating procedures, communication and decision-making
- Communicate with guests about their trip and activities, local area information and other NOC activities and offerings
- Provide top-notch guest service to all guests, before, after, and during their activity
- Participate in other operational tasks, including but not limited to:
- Assist guests with gear
- Delivering instructional talks
- Clean and organize gear and equipment
- Complete course and gear inspection daily before each use
- Set up gear prior to each trip
- Other tasks, such as driving vehicles, repair and maintenance of gear or facilities, guest check-in, or assisting other NOC departments, as qualified and as assigned
Applicants must have:
- Current First Aid and CPR certification (or higher)
- Great communication skills
- Strong sense of guest service
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm about outdoors and sharing outdoor experiences with others
- Sound decision making skills and judgement
- Previous experience working ziplines or aerial obstacles preferred but not required
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Able to carry up to 30lbs
- Able to carry heavy equipment over long distances and upstairs
- Be comfortable working at heights of 60+ feet above the ground
- Being comfortable in a harness for extended periods of time
- Must be physically capable of assisting guest retrieval
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Must be able to belay participants between 60-250lbs
- Must be able to effectively perform self-rescue
- Must be able to bend, stoop and twist
- Comfortable working in various climates (heat, cold, wind, rain)
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to provide a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so too may the essential functions of this position.
The Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any and all terms, conditions or privileges of employment including hiring, promotions, termination, training and compensation. The NOC does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic condition or any other status protected by federal, state or local law, where applicable. Furthermore, the NOC is committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment through respecting and valuing the diversity among employees and all those with whom the NOC does business.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.