Museum Assistant – REGION 3 – Montgomery County (PA) – Norristown
The Museum Assistant is responsible for performing the administrative duties required by the historic site, providing guided tours and participating in events and programs. The Museum Assistant also oversees the operation of the retail shop at the site.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts guided tours and participates in educational programs and events. Assists with logistics (including set-up/tear down) for events/exhibits;
- Assists with tour reservations and initiates confirmations. Maintains site calendars including those for meetings, training, tours and other significant site events;
- Coordinates mission based purchases of materials and supplies for the site’s retail activities including merchandise, stocking, display and promotion of the site’s Museum Shop;
- Performs required cash management activities for the site including credit transactions and sales tax reporting;
- Assists Historic Site Supervisor with deposits and record keeping for the site’s donation account;
- Copies and disseminates information to the public, staff and volunteers as directed;
- Maintains contacts/mailing lists and performs mailings or emailing when required;
- Required to take training as assigned;
- Assist with site general cleaning;
- Assist with creating and/or maintaining digital content, social media and the county website as related to the site’s mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience at an historic site or museum which includes making presentations to the public;
- Experience with retail sales and office support operations preferred;
- Minimum of a High School diploma or GED. Some college level classes in history or related field preferred;
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License, a satisfactory driving record and the ability to maintain one throughout employment;
- Must have basic computer skills;
- Must successfully pass PA State Police Criminal Record check;
- Ability to communicate effectively and possess good public speaking skills;
- Must project a pleasant and professional presence when interacting with the public;
- Must be able to read/write/speak English.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands or arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
- Have the ability to climb, stoop, bend, reach, walk, sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Must be able to lift at least up to thirty (30) pounds;
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be worn when applicable.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
This position will require both office and field work. A Museum Assistant may experience the following:
- Occasional exposure to chemicals and other hazardous materials when performing responsibilities;
- Occasional exposure to inclement weather, extreme heat, cold, snow, ice, and rain;
- Will work at various sites as assigned;
- Occasional contact with domestic and wild animals;
- Casual work attire;
- Required to work weekends, holidays and evenings as needed;
- Be available for all emergencies outside of normal working hours;
- Occasional historic attire may be required;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.