Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Chief Operating Officer
Alaska Shore Tours is a growing company, and we need a chief operating officer (COO) to be the right-hand person for our CEO. With your experience and talents, you’ll lead our team of high-performing professionals to be efficient, productive, and effective. The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for driving the company’s financial performance and overall health by ensuring a strong and profitable business model.
We have our eye open for a COO who has strong leadership skills and the ability to approach business from a creative point of view. The ideal candidate will act as a strategic partner on the leadership team and work closely with the entire organization to motivate and ensure performance expectations are being met.
You’ll have a large influence on the company culture and will foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company. A lead-by-example position, you’ll oversee company operations and employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture that ensures team members can thrive and organizational outcomes are met.
What does COO really mean to us in the context of a small business? You are someone who provides mentoring and coaching as a cornerstone of your leadership style, working with department heads in a collaborative way to tease out organizational objectives while helping to create the stepping stones for achieving those targets. What we are hoping you can bring to our team is your strong natural ability to identify and translate strategy into actionable steps for growth.
With your experience, you’ll spend time weekly with your direct reports to understand their short and long-term goals while helping them strategize, prioritize, and overcome roadblocks to ensure those self-identified goals are met and aligned with company objectives.
Being a small business, we are looking for someone who demonstrates a willingness to take on tasks with a general attitude that no task is too small, impossible, or cannot be improved. We are a small team and we have a lot of fun together, we hope you will join us.
- Work autonomously while ensuring CEO expectations are readily met and exceeded.
- Oversee a team of 6-10 direct reports
- Lead weekly team meetings; conduct performance reviews and 1:1s
- Evaluate and execute strategies to grow revenue, meet budget goals, and improve profitability
- Direct oversight of all sales, customer service, marketing, HR, and accounting functions
- Maintenance and oversight of company policies via the employee handbook
- Manage the overall strategy, purpose, and vision of the human resources function: benefits, payroll, 401k, recruitment, learning and development, culture, and performance management
- Provide leadership and maintain employee morale by providing opportunities for growth and development.
- Ensure that employees are appropriately compensated based on their skill set.
- Lead the hiring process (generating/managing job descriptions, creating postings, filtering applicants, conducting interviews)
- Successful onboarding of new hires (establishing a maintained, efficient training program, establishing clear outcomes/milestones for first-year development)
- Oversee travel arrangements and familiarization trip planning
- Work towards maintaining team & workplace harmony
- Determine staffing requirements; work within payroll budget to meet those needs (scheduling & PTO)
- Provide timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the company.
- Develop actionable business strategies and plans that ensure alignment with short-term and long-term objectives developed in tandem with the CEO
- In-depth understanding of accounting principles including budgeting, balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow
- Ability to motivate a diverse set of personalities
- Leadership skills, with steadfast resolve and personal integrity
- Solid grasp of data analysis and performance metrics
- Ability to diagnose problems quickly and foresee potential issues
Useful to Know
- While this is not a seasonal position, our industry has large ebbs and flows. Our busy season spikes from April 1 – Sept 1.
- We are a tight-knit team that’s been through a lot with the pandemic. We are coming off of a rebuilding year and are eager about the opportunity to expand.
- This has been a founder-led company since its inception in 2013.
- We will be undergoing a large software systems overhaul in 2023. This will present challenges at times and ultimately pave the wave for quantum leaps in our growth potential.
- You’ll be joining a team of 6 existing employees while coming aboard at the same time as two new key hires.
- Start date: early January
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or a related field is required.
- MBA strongly valued
- Minimum 5 years of management experience
Salary & Benefits
- Full-time / Year Round
- Pay Rate: DOE, starts at $85,000/year
- 5 weeks PTO (aggregate of vacation, sick days, and holidays)
- 401K, company matching on the first 4% of contributions
- Travel to Alaska
This is a remote, work-from-home position with occasional travel to Alaska. All candidates must be able to maintain a workspace that will allow them to perform their responsibilities in a professional, orderly, and efficient manner. 40 hours a week, 5 days a week. Background noise must be kept at a minimum to allow for an uninterrupted phone conversation. Internet speed must be a minimum of 10 mbps.
Who Are We?
Born in 2013, Alaska Shore Tours has helped over 125,000 guests experience amazing tours and activities in Alaska. We work with the top tour operators to promote their experiences to a mainly online audience made up of primarily cruise passengers.
We do it with a comprehensive digital marketing strategy, innovative inventory and reservations systems, a curated portfolio of the best adventures, and a small, well-rounded team of people. Ultimately, our mission is to simplify the travel booking experience and to share our passion for Alaska.
We work to provide an unparalleled customer experience with a dynamic online marketing campaign, a simple yet robust booking interface, and one-on-one assistance that guests would normally expect to find through a paid, personalized travel agent. A continuous process of understanding guest expectations and reservation behaviors translates into a dynamic company that is constantly evaluating and exploring. We’re always looking for the best ways to interact with customers by adopting new technologies that advance our mission to provide a seamless reservation experience.
Most importantly, we like to know what we are selling. That’s why we take an annual trip up to Alaska to shake hands with our tour operator partners and to experience the activities we are selling first-hand. And we have a little bit of fun while we are doing it. We’re a tight-knit team that values transparency, bringing our full selves to work and a bit of humor along the way.
We don’t follow “best practices” or get overly concerned with what our competitors are doing; rather we ask a lot of questions as the industry evolves and we get creative about how to adapt to those changes. One thing we know about travel is that the way people book it is always changing; we aim to be there each step of the way as it does.
Sound interesting to you? Let’s chat – send a resume to [email protected]
You must sign in to apply for this position.