Captain – Full Time – Pierce County Ferry – Steilacoom WA – City Experiences – Steilacoom
CIty Experiences is seeking a Captain for our City Ferry operation in Pierce County.
City Experiences’ passion is to provide amazing experiences on land and water. Our 40- year success through organic growth and acquisitions has resulted in a portfolio of over 25+ brands that welcome upwards of 30 million guests/riders annually. If you’re an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication, creativity, and cooperation are encouraged, this may just be the opportunity for you.
About the Opportunity:
Captain directs the ferry’s activities and operates the vessel safely and efficiently while supervising onboard employees. This position serves as the primary contact onboard the vessel with the USCG concerning compliance with laws and regulations. Captain administers training and drills aboard the vessel, and this position ensures a high level of customer service is provided.
This person will be adaptable, dynamic, and embody City Experiences’ RESPECT ServiceSystem.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Direct the ferry’s activities and ensure passengers’ safety and security while vessel is underway.
- Operate vessel at economic engine speeds, per established policies.
- Plan and coordinate safety inspections of the ferry to insure safe operation of equipment, crew safety and compliance with USCG laws and regulations.
- Train and provide feedback for evaluation of the performance of marine crew.
- Act as operation representative and provide information concerning ferry operations to the public, community groups, Coast Guard and other appropriate governmental agencies.
- Ensure all inspections by the USCG meet the standard (no 835s) insofar as is practicable.
- Ensure vessel(s) maintain a COI inspection ready condition at all times.
- Ensure vessel(s) are kept in appropriate satisfactory condition and maintenance work is done unobtrusively while guests are onboard.
- Maintain and enhance our benchmark status with all inspecting agencies.
- Monitor waterways, vessel, and passengers to ensure safety during ferry operation.
- Conduct and supervise onboard training and routine drills.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of all phases of shipboard safety procedures and knowledge of location and use of all firefighting and safety equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers, life preservers, work vest).
- Ensure safety equipment is available and in proper working order and that all personnel have proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state and federal safety and environmental regulations to include station bill assignments.
- Provide required training as needed for working with and proper disposal of hazardous waste.
- Review contents of Vessel Operations Guide and Pass down Log.
- Maintain radio watch and monitor VHF channels 13 and 16.
- Guarantee a physically safe and environmentally sound working environment – proper tools, training, facilities and materials for all crewmembers; conduct weekly emergency drills.
- Ensure that the safety of our guests and crewmembers is maximized through careful and vigorous definition, administration and enforcement of safety policies and guidelines. Coordinate emergency response.
- Develop strong relationships with appropriate crewmembers and represent the Company at meetings and other functions as requested.
- Participate in meetings, training, drills and safety audits as required by USCG & company policy.
- Ensure vessel is secure and prior to departure from evening shift.
- Assure quality workmanship and performance by crewmembers.
- Ensure employees are properly uniformed, demonstrate appropriate attitudes, are technically competent in their area of responsibility, that all crewmembers are providing their best efforts, and that we have identified and are using their skills to the company’s best advantage.
- Ensure all chemicals and other types of hazardous or caustic materials have Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) and are properly handled, stored, and disposed of (as required).
- Document and report safety related concerns or incidents.
- Ensure safe and efficient operation of the vessel.
- Additional job duties as assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- HS Diploma
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent of experience, from an accredited institution preferred
- U.S.C.G. license endorsed as Master of Motor Vessels of at least 500 gross tons
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC Card), and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certification, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid Driver’s License
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
- 3 years’ experience in the passenger vessel industry demonstrating the ability to handle growing levels of responsibility
- Excellent career record in marine industry.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to effectively interact with the passengers, guests, and fellow employees.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, quickly-changing environment
- Ability to use independent judgment and discretion to develop and execute innovative solutions to crew management and morale issues
- Demonstrated ability to bring increased value to task through efficiencies and cost-control
- Computer literacy with MS Office software knowledge
The RESPECT Service System embodies City Experiences’ mission, vision, values, and operating principles. By creating a company culture that puts RESPECT at its core, we believe it will drive us to achieve our goal of becoming a Global Experiences and Transportation Leader
City Experiences is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical ormental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additional, City Experiences participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Pursuant to applicable State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.