Able Bodied Seaman – City Ferry – Dauphin Island – City Experiences – Dauphin Island
City Experiences is seeking an Able Bodied Seaman for our City Ferry operation in Dauphin Island, AL.
This person will be adaptable, dynamic, and embody City Experiences’ RESPECT Service System.
About the Opportunity:
The Able Bodied Seaman (AB) supports the safe operation of the vessel in a fashion that exceeds the highest standards within the passenger vessel industry. The AB must promote and maintain the utmost integrity and the highest standard of customer service to all guests and fellow employees.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Remain true to and champion the Company’s Core Values and Code of Conduct.
- Safety First – Safety shall remain the highest priority at all times. Be an active advocate of, and participant in, the HMS Safety Culture.
- Consider reliability and efficiency with regard to Company operations.
- Monitor river, vessel, and passengers to endure safety during ferry operation.
- Participate in onboard training and routine drills.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of all phases of shipboard safety procedures and knowledge of location and use of all firefighting and safety equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers, life preservers, work vest).
- Use proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Handle and dispose of all chemicals and other types of hazardous or caustic material in compliance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) (as required).
- Memorize and carry out assignments on the Watch Quarter Station Bill.
- Know location of all safety equipment, including fire extinguishers, fire and bilge pumps, fire hoses, lifejacket lockers, emergency lighting, first aid supplies and rescue equipment.
- Know proper lifejacket donning methods.
- Participate in the operation of the vessel within the legal requirements of the USCG and other pertinent regulatory agencies under the supervision of the Captain.
- Monitor safety issues and report hazards to the Captain for correction.
- Participate in Safety, Seamanship and other training as required.
- Participate in drills as directed by the Captain.
- Participate in meetings as requested.
- Ensure that safety equipment is provided and properly used for all tasks involving physical hazards.
- Assist, under the direction of the captain, with the safe mooring, docking of the vessel in a variety of weather and water stage conditions.
- Assist with routine maintenance, painting and clean up as instructed by the Captain.
- Remain cognizant of guest service and safety issues and provide regular and dependable feedback to the Captain.
- Understand the Employee Handbook and adhere to policies.
- Understand and comply with the Safety Management System (SMS).
- Understand and comply with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Maintain Crew Qualification binger.
- Collaborate with other HMS personnel to remain attentive regulatory requirements and alert to regulatory changes.
- Assist Captain in ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal safety and environmental regulations.
- Assist Captain in ensuring vessel is in an inspection ready condition at all times.
- Present professional level of customer service and appearance to all clients, both internal and external.
- Responsible for handling money and balancing deposits/money bag.
- Generate settlement and recap reports as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- HS Diploma
- Professional Certification(s) or License:
- Valid U.S.C.G Able Bodied Seaman license and ability to maintain
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC card), and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certification, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid Driver’s License
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
- Advanced seamanship knowledge, including Safety equipment, line handling, knots & splices.
- Ability to effectively interact with the passengers, guests, and fellow employees.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, quickly-changing environment
- Ability to process calculations frequently and continuously
- Basic computer skills
- Minimum one (1) year experience overseeing vessel daily operations and maintenance.
- Minimum six (6) months watch standing experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Ability to stand and walk on nearly a constant basis
- Ability to bend, rotate and reach frequently
- Ability to carry, push/pull and/or lift materials weighing upwards of 75 lbs.
- Ascending/descending stairs or ladders safely
- Ability to manipulate/handle/grip materials required to perform job
- Ability to maneuver through/in/around small and/or confined areas within the vessel
- Must be able to maintain both static and dynamic standing balance to complete various duties associated with job
- Must be capable of performing emergency duties as listed in the vessel’s station bill
- Vision must be correctible to 20/40 with full color vision and no night blindness.
City Experiences’ passion is to provide amazing experiences on land and water. Our 40-year success through organic growth and acquisitions has resulted in a portfolio of over 25+ brands that welcome upwards of 30 million guests/riders annually. If you’re an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication, creativity, and cooperation are encouraged, this may just be the opportunity for you.
The RESPECT Service Systemembodies City Experiences’ mission, vision, values and operating principles. By creating a company culture that puts RESPECT at its core, we believe it will drive us to achieve our goal of becoming a Global Experiences and Transportation Leader.
City Experiences is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additional, City Experiences participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
We encourage qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records to apply.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.